Sr. Manager, Port Captain, Marine Nautical
Royal Caribbean Group
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
The Royal Caribbean Group’s Celebrity Cruises brand has an exciting career opportunity for a full time Sr. Manager, Port Captain Marine Nautical on the Marine Operations Team reporting to the Vice-President, Marine Operations.
This position will work on-site in Miami, Florida
In this position, you will support the VP, Marine Operation in carrying out the day to day operations of the Fleet with particular focus on Safety and Navigation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Main Role Internally:
- Coordinates on behalf of CEL Marine Operations with the following internal stakeholders on an as needed basis (not exhaustive list):
- Hotel Operations
- Human Resources
- Maritime Safety
- Safety Training Program for Marine officers
- Ship Manager for any Marine Class-related issues, inspections, and surveys or any vessel maintenance and safety related reports
- Oversees and implments Marine injury prevention and workplace safety initiaitives.
- Coordinate with Maritime Safety on implementation of corrective actions/lessons learned.
- Monitors Company’s Shoreside training program for all Marine Officers.
- Leads special projects for Marine & Nautical Ops related to safety and navigation.
- Responsible for hiring Bridge Officers for the Celebrity Fleet.
- Member of Evacuation Working Group, Navigation Working Group & Human Factor Working Group.
- Oversees routine regulatory issues such as certificate management and scheduling of USCG, Class and Flag Safety Inspections.
- Monitors vessels’ maintenance and safety related reports.
- Monitors vessels’ stability reports and liaise with Newbuild team for future stability enhancements.
- Liaise with Technical team on Class related issues, inspections, surveys to ensure repairs, inspections and upgrades are completed on timely manner.
- Point of Contact for any and all Situation Alerts for the Celebrity Fleet with regard to weather, propulsion, fire, collision, grounding or any other Safety of Life at Sea elements that need elevation
- Point of contact for Supply Chain.
- Point of contact for Global Port Operations.
- Point of contact for Public Relations.
- Point of Contact for Marketing.
Role with the Fleet:
- Coordinates with HR as Marine Ops contact for Hiring Processes, Rotation, Officer time onboard and Promotion List for 3rd,2nd, 1st Officers, Chief Officer/Safety & Staff Captain (notified in copy for officer terminations).
- Manages International Deck Cadet Program in coordination with HR – implementation, maritime academy selection, scheduling, ambassador coordination, rehire process.
- Conducts Port Captain Assessments – Carries out visits to company's vessels for assessing Navigation, Safety operations and Officers efficiency. Generate nautical & marine report focused on Safety, Deck and overall bridge ops, bridge teamwork.
- Participates in Marine Safety investigations – Work closely with Maritime Safety and Risk Management with regards to investigating Marine incidents/accidents and ensuring post-incident corrective actions are appropriately implemented.
- Communicates directly with the shipboard Senior Marine Officers for day to day operational matters.
- Act as Marine Operations nautical point of contact externally for:
- Flag State/USCG/Class issues
- USCG/Port Authority/External workshops and exercises (Mass Rescue, Port Security, etc.)
Oversees Shoreside training program budget.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s Mariner license with Senior Marine Officer and/or shoreside managerial experience of at least 5 years in the cruise industry
- Strong leadership skills, collaboration/teaming, the ability to develop and maintain a high performing team, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Ability to employ design thinking methods to solve problems and apply the right solution for a given problem
- Ability to identifying the root cause of complex problems, develop options and recommend solutions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and priorities
We know there's a lot to consider. As you go through the application process, our recruiters will be glad to provide guidance, and more relevant details to answer any additional questions. Thank you again for your interest in Royal Caribbean Group. We'll hope to see you onboard soon!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Royal Caribbean Group and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.