Naval Architect - Project Manager for Cruise Vessel Project
Royal Caribbean Group
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
POSITION SUMMARY: (**this positon is NOT a remote position and requires working on site in Miami, Florida**)
The position requires a naval architect or other comparable engineering degree to ensure competence in multiple types of shipboard project work including all technical installations and interiors outfitting works.
Provides the primary project management leadership during the development, preparation, and delivery phases of Fleet Modernization and/or Newbuild–Owners Work projects, applying Agile Project Plan (APP) methodologies and/or applicable best practices. They provide and/or obtain technical, architectural, estimation and engineering support to further define scope of works and to integrate their respective expertise, ensuring a comprehensive project-development approach. In the latter part of the development process, the PM, is responsible for contributing to the supplier sourcing decision process, creating schedules of values, work packages, take part in vendor bid reviews, negotiations, and final selection. Lead any required value engineering efforts with Design, Technical, Brand and Procurement to ensure budget/scope alignment. They continuously manage all communications and correspondence between the relevant parties, both internally and externally. Will lead the bridge from Development to Delivery through project preparation and execution stages. The PM will lead and manage safely onboard all aspects of project execution. Will be responsible for compliance of all rules and regulations, as applicable. Project manager will proactively plan, coordinate and drive projects so they are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and budget, while meeting all safety standards and brand guidelines. Liaises with Brand operating department representatives involved in the modernization of existing ship or Owners Work of a new ship: Hotel, OBR, PDT, Culinary, Marine, Design, Finance, Procurement, HR, IT, ShoreEx, Revenue, Sales & Marketing, Safety & Environment and shipyards and NB Site teams, as required by project. Responsible to lead and manage safely onboard all aspects of project execution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
-Development of Work
- Oversee the development and execution of various projects and coordinates the technical and administrative aspects with the senior inter/intra content owners and/or consultants relevant to the project requirements.
- Uses their technical abilities and people skills to motivate, encourage and lead group members to achieve optimum results.
- Is responsible for leading the cost, technical and design alignment process, ensuring accurate scope-to-budget alignment with Brand, prior to pre-and-full Capital Acquisition Request submittals.
- Is responsible for leading routine-based cost, technical and design alignment immersions, ensuring designs are inclusive of all technical, operational, safety, and other discipline-influencing considerations.
- Leads the project budget/scope alignment process by reviewing and mitigating scope and/or cost creep through continuous review of financial tracking reports and ensuring change request process (CRF) is utilized. Responsible for approval of change orders while in drydock.
- Is responsible, together with the Estimating Team (as available), for the research and analysis of all data, drawings and other reference documents for the creation of budget matrix for review and approval by Solutions Leadership and Finance Manager.
- Works with Product Development, Design, Finance, Planner to ensure project timelines are defined based on required project deliverables and drydock or project start date and location, utilizing APP and/or best-practices methodology, as applicable to individual project.
- Ensures project planner has set up and is actively tracking in accordance with the APP or NB Defined plan to ensure accurate progress and S-Curve reporting, as applicable to individual project.
- Ensures project re-baseline alignment meetings are occurring and project plans are being revised and tracked accordingly.
- Ensures Work Package Tracker is set up for development progress updates, as applicable to individual project.
- Ensures that all equipment or materials ordered during development phase are appropriate for installation, cost effective and in accordance with applicable industry codes.
- Stays current on relevant technical research and projects; seek information and evaluate new technology for use onboard.
- Ensures established document-management procedures are being followed.
- Prepare composite reports from individual reports of team members. Prepares management presentations and collects data to do so.
- Travel, as and when required, to support project development, on-site project delivery, vendor visits to vessels and site teams at yard locations shortly before and during all projects, as applicable to individual project.
- Confers with matrixed constituent department representatives and vendors to outline milestones, establish work plans, responsibilities, scope and tracking routines.
- Follow-up on team members to meet project deadlines and provide input on team member activities for schedule review process.
- Manages vendors, ensuring they meet our time, budget, safety and brand guidelines.
- Coordinates activities to ensure project progresses on schedule, accurately reflects current project status through regular updates of tasks and statuses.
- Obtains or provides technical support to manage and coordinate at a high level, all general procedures and regulatory classification and safety issues between new building office(s) and classification and regulatory societies.
- Responsible for tracking timing, budget, cost control and reporting through support resources.
- Utilizes project management tools and techniques to develop and maintain project scope; manages customer expectations and maintains focus.
- Communicate project plan status on a regular basis to project team and project stakeholders.
-Execution of Work
- Overall responsible for the safety of the ship and personnel as related to the project execution and quality of the work, as they lead and manage work onboard during drydock and in-service.
- Represents RCG throughout the project with all contracted stakeholders.
- Responsible for the overall quality of the installation including coordinate technical inspections prior to closing deckheads etc.
- Ensure the proper signoff of Preliminary and Final Inspections
- Responsible for flawless delivery of projects back to the fleet operations.
- Performs other duties as required. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Responsible for a portfolio of projects of approximately $10+ million
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university with a concentration in engineering, naval architecture, or related field.
- 7+ years of experience supporting technical projects, shipbuilding, or ship revitalizations
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must be familiar with the working drawing process inclusive of drawing, dimensioning and detailing floor plans, elevations, sections and details.
- Ability to understand and interpret architectural plans, sections, elevations, and details.
- Strong project management skills.
- Well versed in project planning/schedule disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills absolutely required, as well as the ability to be a strong team player. –
- Working knowledge of Windows NT, Microsoft Word, Excel and Autocad system.
- Internet and e-mail literate with ability to send, receive and attach files as required.
- Must be proactive, organized, self-driven and multi-faceted. - Will be required to use and/or develop project specific software for project development, management and tracking.
- Ability to read and write fluent English is required. Ability to speak other languages a plus.
- Able to travel internationally up-to 40% of time.
We know there's a lot to consider. As you go through the application process, our recruiters will be glad to provide guidance, and more relevant details to answer any additional questions. Thank you again for your interest in Royal Caribbean Group. We'll hope to see you onboard soon!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Royal Caribbean Group and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.