Director, Fleet Energy Optimization
Royal Caribbean Group
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
The Royal Caribbean Group’s Royal Caribbean International brand has an exciting career opportunity for a Director, Fleet Energy Optimization.
This position will work on-site in Miami, Florida.
Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) is one of the leading cruise companies in the world with a global fleet of 66 ships traveling to approximately 1,000 destinations around the world. Royal Caribbean Group is the owner and operator of three award winning cruise brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises and it is also a 50% owner of a joint venture that operates TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises. Together, the brands have an additional 10 ships on order as of September 30, 2022.
Energy Management is part of the Global Fleet Optimization department under the Global Marine Operations group supporting and managing the fleet of 64 ships to operate most efficiently and safely.
Director, Fleet Energy Management works in a dynamic work environment requiring both knowledge of Marine Technical & Nautical Operations and Energy Efficiency Optimization. This position will contribute to Royal Caribbean’s success by continuously improving the fleet energy consumption, thus reducing emissions. The position is also responsible to have an oversight of the fuel consumption forecast and expense, voyage and vessel operational efficiency improvement, planning and managing medium- to long-term strategy on energy savings retrofits, and Hull Performance.
The role further entails leveraging on data science and analytics and digitalization initiatives to enhance energy efficiency and reduce Group’s direct operational cost and Scope-1 GHG emissions to achieve both Corporate and Regulatory decarbonization targets.
This position is a rare opportunity if you are looking for a job where you get to play an important and a transformative role in this decade of action towards a greener transition.
The person in this role will report to the AVP, Global Fleet Optimization, and will have 4 direct reports (Managers) and 7 in-direct reports and growing, members of the talented Energy team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate, Plan, Manage, and Validate energy saving technology retrofits, in coordination with both the internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish standardized operational practices and metrics to monitor, benchmark, follow-up, and regularly report on fleet energy efficiency performance to both ship-shore personnel, also compile Sustainability Reports and Board Material.
- Work with cross-functional teams and leadership to set ambitious and measurable energy efficiency targets (KPIs) to reduce RCG’s operational expense and carbon footprint.
- Own the Energy Advisory tools, dashboards, and other digital online platforms both onboard and at shore, including further development of those tools to meet the growing needs w.r.t regulatory compliance, feedback from stakeholders etc., also including managing the service level and other commercial agreements for same.
- Prime mover in leading various pursuits w.r.t the Corporate Fleet Energy Efficiency, Carbon Emissions reduction Analysis and Reporting. Maintains a continuous liaison with both shipboard and shoreside personnel sake accountability.
- Continuous oversight and update of the corporate fuel consumption & expense forecast, incl. fuel hedge portfolio.
- Identify, evaluate new technologies and operations optimization tools i.e., Data, AI & ML based solutions, to help reduce the annual corporate fuel consumption and thereby greenhouse gas emissions.
- Responsible for collecting and compiling fuel consumption, expense, emissions, and intensity metrics needed for corporate reporting, Sustainability report, Carbon Disclosure Project, Fleet Objective and Targets, and the Board.
- Ensure compliance follow-up plan and reporting for IMO environmental regulations pertaining to energy efficiency of existing ships (EEXI), carbon intensity indicator (CII), also including decarbonization strategy and targets compliance w.r.t the itinerary speed planning, hull performance, operational efficiency etc.
- Steer Data-Driven multi-million energy retrofit investment program with projects varying in size and scope for fuel savings and emissions reduction. Continuous follow-up to ensure operational efficiency gains made with the investments.
- Liaison and negotiate the Capex financials with the vendors and consolidate a business case submission material including financials. Present same at the Capital Committee, governing body overseeing the Capex allocations.
- Guide process and procedures to establish an advanced operational data base to collect and analyze the ship operational data, to further improve voyage and vessel operational performance i.e., propulsion – Speed, Trim, Route, Engine Load; Service – Chiller, Hotel, Auxiliary energy production & consumption, also including certain aspects of Safety and Asset Maintenance that have an indirect impact of energy consumption.
- Effectively manage multiple vendor commercial contracts, annual service level agreement and guarantee offers.
- Engage on qualitative and quantitative analysis related to decarbonization and regulatory compliance strategy, including financial modeling around carbon impact, carbon pricing, price forecasting, and cash flows.
- Direct operational excellence opportunities through target setting and following-up to reduce vessel operating costs across corporate brands yielding yearly fuel savings.
- Ensure data driven decisions for the hull performance and coating strategy to achieve target average percentage Propulsion power deviation from the baseline.
- Work with key industry vendors and partners to monitor the business environment for optimizing fuel expense and develop Long Term Strategic Plan scenarios. In this regard, needs to attend industry conferences and develop network to gather business intelligence related to the fleet voyage optimization, the impact of emission regulations etc.
- Use an innovative mindset to maintain and sustain the energy toolbox/technology garage for further energy efficiency enhancements.
- Support medium to long term financial estimate of decarbonization impact based on CII compliance, Carbon tax exposure, Fleet Divestment options and corporate target commitments.
- Coordinate shore power retrofit program planning with the relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee short- and long-range financial modeling related to fuel expense and hedging, capital energy retrofit program, hull coating and maintenance strategy. All initiatives together combining ~$1 billion of financial exposure - through opex and investment strategy.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Background as Marine/Industrial/Mechanical Energy Engineer or Naval Architect and experience within the Maritime Sector either on board/on shore or both, classification society or similar.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Naval Architecture, Business/Finance, or Data Science field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in technical operations/energy management/fleet optimization or related, ability to supervise a team of 10+.
- Strong understanding of ship technical operating systems such as HVAC, auxiliary systems, and propulsion.
- Possess financial modeling-analysis techniques and project management skills.
- Sharp analytical and good interpersonal, communication skills.
- Understanding of cruise line operations is preferred either in technical-engineering, Nautical operations, new builds, or other areas.
- Detailed knowledge of vessel operations, energy management and Shipping Decarbonization is preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental frameworks and regulatory affairs within the Maritime industry.
- Strong IT skills including advanced Excel, PowerPoint, BI. Previous experience with data analytics is preferred.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Detailed knowledge of vessel operations and energy management.
We know there's a lot to consider. As you go through the application process, our recruiters will be glad to provide guidance, and more relevant details to answer any additional questions. Thank you again for your interest in Royal Caribbean Group. We'll hope to see you onboard soon!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Royal Caribbean Group and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.