Lead Engineer, Software
Royal Caribbean Group
The Lead Software Engineer reports to an engineering/product manager. She/he has significant experience with software engineering principles and best practices, solution design, design patterns, latest technologies, technical troubleshooting techniques, and application testing and DevOps. The role requires expertise in specific areas of technology relevant to one or more business applications. She/he must demonstrate strong interpersonal and collaboration skills. The Lead Software Engineer is responsible for working with the product team and peer engineers to execute on product deliverables. She/he is responsible for implementing engineering solutions of moderate to high complexity, as well as ensuring operational excellence for specific software systems and applications within the product portfolio. The role will guide the software solutioning process and provide options/recommendations on product/process improvements. The Lead Software Engineer produces technical designs that are in alignment with best software engineering practices/principles and recommends technology solutions in alignment with the product roadmap. She/he is responsible for documenting solution decisions across impacted applications. The Lead Software Engineer is viewed as a technical expert in areas of software product development.
Experience and Skills:
- Expertise in solution architecture, integration patterns, and product engineering best practices/standards
- Expertise in designing and delivering messaging solutions using Kafka
- Expertise in creating and evolving Avro schemas using Confluent Schema Registry
- Hands on experience in Producing and Consuming Kafka Streams
- Strong expertise in programming Spring boot/Python frameworks
- Experience with docker/container stack architecture, technologies, and platforms that includes Kubernetes, OpenShift etc.
- Experience with event driven architectures and change data capture using technologies like IBM IDR
- Experience in DevOps, DevSecOps and Application Performance Management implementations
- Experience with enterprise integration and building data pipelines
- Platform design and implementation experience with projects that encompass microservices, API gateways like IBM Datapower, Apigee etc.
- Ability to translate the functional requirement to technical design, add to documentation
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement solution designs from inception through delivery to production
- Design and code for operational excellence including engineering resiliency, performance, availability, and scalability of her/his applications
- Responsible and accountable for estimation activities in collaboration with the product teams
- Ensure solution design is in compliance with corporate standards and policies
- Coach and mentor other engineers on solution engineering and promote a culture of innovation
- Document product and application solution engineering decisions
- Remain current with industry trends in order to advise and advocate solution approaches for systems and applications to meet growing business needs
- Perform other duties as required. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- Understanding of accounting rules for expense and capital activities
- Understanding of technical estimation activities
- Responsible for defining optimization opportunities to manage cost
- Tracks effort hours by activity in time management tool
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Math, or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related area
- Preferred experience working in large, cross-functional teams in a globally diverse model
The role will primarily function within the professional IT and business office environments located in South Florida; some occasional business travel is required. The space is in compliance with safety, environment, health, and accessibility requirements. The work environments are maintained to reinforce collaboration, motivation, and innovation to help maintain a vibrant and distinctive culture and a diverse workforce.