Sr. Naval Architect
Royal Caribbean Group
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
The Naval Architect is responsible for providing engineering support to project management teams including engineering assessments, technical management, and procedural oversight across multiple projects. Types of support include verifying projects are conforming to applicable codes, rules, and regulations for passenger vessels, ensuring projects are being developed to the expectations and timelines established, and the management of ship stability documentation and approvals. This position is project management oriented and does not require detailed design engineering, except through the review and comment of other companies¿ design work. Broad exposure to multiple ship operations departments and projects will be provided and assignment to specific projects given based on department needs including newbuilds, ship repairs, ship modifications (revitalizations), and technical projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with classification societies to ensure the vessels and vessel changes are in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations pertaining to passenger vessels and manage the document submittal and approval process either directly or through third party vendors used by the company.
- Assists in the development of new projects, in regard to meeting company requirements, for technical feasibility, scope, cost, budget and schedules including communication of the project’s technical status and technical feasibility during the development phase.
- Acts as technical manager for a variety of projects that support the department’s goals and objectives, work with multiple technical specialist companies who perform the detailed design and analysis and provide review and commentary on the performed work.
- Attends dry dockings and new building delivery to support the project managers during execution and start up.
- Manages the ship stability documentation and approval process for revitalization and technical projects.
- Ensures that department standards and procedures are well understood and followed throughout the project phases and that they reflect the most up-to-date thinking based on lessons learned.
- Represents the department as a responsible technical manager and Naval Architect and implements yearly department goals.
- Performs other duties as required. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- Manages technical budgets for assigned projects.
- Master’s degree from an accredited school in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
- Previous work-related experience required (co-op or internship).
- 3+ years of experience desired.
- Demonstrated leadership and effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to understand and develop a working knowledge of applicable codes, rules and regulations that govern passenger vessels such as SOLAS, FTP code, Classification Rules, IMO regulations and amendments to SOLAS, Marpol, etc.
- Ship stability concepts, requirements and the ability understand and develop a working knowledge of probabilistic damage stability principles and calculation methods.
- Ability to understand and interpret various drawing types including architectural plans, structural drawings, etc.
- Familiar with modern commercial shipbuilding technology and new computer tools for simulations, analysis, and calculations.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project, and AutoCAD.
- While attending dry dockings, standing, or walking for extended periods of time, carrying, or moving objects, climbing stairs or ladders to/from enclosed or tight spaces is required.
Significant travel may be required, up to 30% of the time. Typical travel is about one week per month. Longer term foreign assignments up to 1-2 years may be available based on department projects and objectives.
We know there's a lot to consider. As you go through the application process, our recruiters will be glad to provide guidance, and more relevant details to answer any additional questions.
Thank you again for your interest in Royal Caribbean Group. We'll hope to see you onboard soon.
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Royal Caribbean Group and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.