Manager, Contact Center
Posted on Saturday, March 4, 2023
Papa is a new kind of care, built on human connection. Across the country, health plans and employers look to Papa to provide vital social support by pairing older adults and families with Papa Pals, trained and vetted companions, who provide a helping hand and an open ear, resulting in less loneliness and better health.
Founded in 2017 and headquartered in Miami, Papa is backed by Canaan, Tiger Global Management, Comcast Ventures, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, TCG, Initialized Capital, and Seven Seven Six, among other revered institutional and individual investors. We envision a world where no one has to go it alone. Learn more at Papa.com.
Papa is an equal opportunity employer. We proudly support the ParityPledge® for gender and racial parity at the highest levels of business.
Papa and our Papa Pals represent a new category of care, to quite literally meet our members where they are. Social determinants of health, including the public health crisis that is loneliness, have huge impacts on people’s health, and on their lives. The Papa team and our tens of thousands of Papa Pals are here to provide companionship, support, and care to millions of families.
Backed by amazing partners, Papa has raised $240M in funding. Our investors include SoftBank Vision Fund 2, TCG, Tiger Global Management, Canaan, Comcast Ventures, Pivotal Ventures (Melinda Gates’ fund), Initialized Capital, Sound Ventures (Ashton Kutcher’s fund), YCombinator, Operator Partners, and Magnify Ventures.
Papa, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We proudly support the ParityPledge® for gender and/or racial parity at the highest levels of business.
In partnership with other leaders, the Manager will help lead the organization, oversee daily operations, and successful execution of the centralized Care Center. This includes managing frontline and supervisory staff and being accountable for consistent performance, including the ability to meet established key performance indicators that support access, productivity, sales, cost, and an optimal consumer experience.
The Manager will serve as a subject matter expert on their respective service(s) and general contact center operations. This position is responsible for building trusting relationships and partnering with leaders and frontline staff in the Care Center to continually improve service delivery, driving rapid and sustained process improvement initiatives, and championing change management efforts in the teams they support. The Manager will partner with key stakeholders to help improve our associate onboarding, training, quality, projects, technology enhancements, internal communication, and reporting. In addition, they will assist with escalations, coaching & development of frontline and supervisory staff, administrative functions, and help manage controllable costs. This role requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage with associates and leaders alike.
Because the Care Center is a technology-dependent department, the Manager must demonstrate competence to operate across various technology platforms. The Manager must exhibit strong dedication to providing outstanding customer service, take responsibility for performance, and maintain relationships that are equally respectful to all, and ensure the delivery of a high-quality service that consistently meets established performance indicators within a rapidly growing organization.
Salary & Benefits:
At Papa, we believe in caring for each other. In addition to competitive salaries and challenging work assignments we offer medical, dental and vision insurances, mental health and emotional wellbeing support tools, equity packages; 401k Plan with match of up to 4%, generous gender neutral parental leaves and PTO, lunch stipends and employee events that promote work life balance and camaraderie.
This position description reflects the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The responsibilities listed may be subject to change at any time and individuals may be asked to perform duties outside of their regular responsibilities to support the ongoing operations of Papa Inc..
Principal Duties and Job Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate through behavior Papa’s mission, vision, values and service standards
- Must ensure a service oriented, high performing operation by leading, engaging, coaching and developing the supervisory staff. You will be supporting your teams’ effort by creating a servant leadership culture while delivering an exceptional customer experience
- Must enable an environment that develops our front line leaders and fosters mutual respect, trust, responsibility and core values while connecting people and improving lives during our day to day operations
- Create an environment that assures the productivity, performance, and well-being of each employee in the department and celebrates their success.
- Establish team and individual goals in support of departmental and company objectives, coaches and mentors, front line leaders in skill development, customer service elevation and company culture behaviors.
- Regularly report and monitor key performance indicators and partner with leaders to adjust operations accordingly to meet objectives
- Manage Care Center daily activities and balances workload to ensure department targets are met in accordance with department and client Service Level Agreements.
- Participate in the ongoing development and optimization of the Care Center operations; including recruiting, training, quality, technology, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuously improving customer experience and achieve First Call Resolution.
- In alignment with Papa culture, create a safe, professional, and positive work environment that embraces employee engagement.
- Establishes and promotes effective relationships with team members and front line leaders that fosters compassion, authenticity, integrity, respect and dignity
- Ability to bring out the best performance in the workforce through proactive employee engagement and support for an inclusive working environment.
- Regularly review and discuss performance and provide coaching, mentorship and accountability as needed for frontline and supervisory staff.
- Participate in the activation of new Papa services and enhancements.
- In partnership with Workforce Management, monitors current and future inbound and outbound call volume; supports appropriate staffing levels, attendance and productivity accountability, schedule changes, and recruiting efforts to achieve target.
- Serve as teams’ liaison and advocate with other departments for the purpose of customer advocacy, clear communication, continuity of operations, and any other events that impact our customer’s experience
- Handles and ensures escalated calls from customers often involving time sensitive situations, and resolves them to the customer’s satisfaction, while adhering to all company and regulatory policies and procedures. Ensuring timely intervention when needed and provides follow through on each interaction.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the Care Center through various channels, including team meetings, newsletter, and one-on-one as appropriate to ensure awareness.
- Demonstrate expert human relations and influencing skills that encourage results and promote continuous process improvement and cultural alignment
- Commit to ongoing learning by developing your team; ensuring programs are in place and encouraging frequent recognition to drive performance
- Coordinate and implement reward and recognition programs to drive both group and individual performance
- Ensures compliance with corporate and departmental policies and guidelines
- Identifies areas of opportunity through customer feedback, interaction with functional leaders; trends and analysis to positively influence support strategy, team performance and service improvement
- Collaborate with Employee Relations and HR on recruiting top talent, department documentation, policy administration, and ensuring a fair and consistent work environment.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among peers and team members
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven team builder with experience in developing organizational culture
- Proven ability to use data analytics to drive operational, quality, and financial performance in accordance with department and organizational goals
- Must be able to perform root cause analysis to present finding in a documented manner
- Effective at championing a compelling vision and leading by example, guiding teams through difficult transitions
- Personal integrity and an ability to work under stress in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated interpersonal, customer relations, and communication skills
- Ability to lead or facilitate training and education
- Critical thinking ability - using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Ability to monitor and assess performance of self, teams and the operation to make improvements or take corrective action
- Strong organizational and coordination skills
- Demonstrated ability in successfully collaborating with multiple partners in a matrix environment
- Strong problem-solving skills, with ability to handle complex scenarios
- Strong people management skills, with ability to coach and provide support to team members
- Ability to drive change at professional and cultural level
- Ability to drive performance improvement by actively scanning for disruptive processes and pursuing partnerships to bolster team’s performance capability
- Demonstrated leadership skills; the ability to take the lead in making improvements and resolving issues
- Proficient in time management with superior prioritization skills
- Self-motivator, quick thinker, proactive, and detail- and results-oriented
- Demonstrated interpersonal, customer relations, and communication skills with the ability to use discretion when discussing confidential personnel or consumer-related issues
- Demonstrated ability in successfully collaborating with multiple departments
- Effective at leading by example
- Ability to communicate professionally while maintaining confidence, confidentiality, integrity, and objectivity
- Strong decision making skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, the ability to communicate in a clear, constructive, and professional manner
- Remaining customer-centric when managing communications and issues.
- Demonstration of regular, consistent and punctual attendance
- Experience and proven track record with change management in a large omni-channel contact center setting
- General understanding of cloud based telephony systems, IVR, skill-based priority routing, chat, email, and associated reporting
- Working knowledge of Workforce Mgmt. workflows and protocols
- Expertise in contact center interaction quality management
- Proficiency in business systems, including Google Workspace, Microsoft Suite, and CRM.
- Flexible schedule, willing to work off hours and weekends, and some holidays
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree OR
- 5+ years of leadership experience in a large contact center environment OR
- Currently in a supervisor position within the department for at least 6 months.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish Preferred
- Technology – Completing training and staying up-to-date on all relevant contact center technologies.
- Adaptability – Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Partnerships – Developing and leveraging relationships within and across work groups to achieve results.
- Communication – Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listens actively to others. Exhibits excellent oral and written communication skills
- Develops Self – Understanding own strengths and development needs, learning from experience, and owning personal development.
- Service Orientation – Listening to and understanding the customer, anticipating customer needs, and giving high priority to customer satisfaction.
- Teams with Others – Creating an environment that values individual perspectives while driving toward common goals; assisting teammates as necessary.
- Managing Work (includes Time Management) – Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well. Effectively influences actions and opinions of others, inspiring respect and trust. Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Gives appropriate recognition. Displays passion and optimism about the organization when interacting with employees.
Papa’s culture is People-first. While we have an incredible team of hard working Papa people, at the end of the day, our company is really about family and community – and we celebrate that among our employees. We encourage everyone to truly bring their whole authentic selves to work. To be transparent. To be non-hierarchical. And, above all, to be a really good person.
We see ourselves as a place where every Papa employee feels they belong, a place where careers flourish, a place that brings back purpose and joy to work, a culture where visionaries/entrepreneurs are developed.
Papa’s mission is at the core of our total rewards philosophy wherein we attract and retain high potential talent aligned with our journey. We offer gender neutral and inclusive parental leave policies that offer up to 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave. We immensely value the benefits of a flexible workplace, while designing remote-first principles we ensured that Papa people feel psychologically safe about their career interests while being remote.
Beyond benefits: We want to take care of the whole employee and their families. To stay true to this commitment, we offer family care leave in addition to a generous paid time off policy, 401(k) match up to 4%; family forming support through access to Carrot; emotional health support tools through our medical plans such as Ginger, Happify ; access to women’s leadership network CHIEF to our senior women leaders and a host of events through a monthly culture calendar that enable emotional connectedness in a remote work environment.