Staff Data Engineer
Correlation One is an education technology company building the workforce development platform of the future.
We close skill gaps for enterprises, governments and individuals, while empowering disenfranchised segments of the workforce. By providing training-to-job programs that are 100% free for learners, we eliminate traditional barriers to opportunities. We are committed to helping enterprises like Amazon, Walmart, Prudential, Citadel, Colgate, Johnson & Johnson, Target, Merck and others reskill their workforces to prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow. We build community-oriented, jobs-first learning experiences that offer a human touch and leverage technology to create best-in-class outcomes for everyone.
Each program is taught by industry leaders and experts, professors and teaching assistants, delivered virtually to cohort-based learning communities. We currently run over 12 types of programs for 12,000+ learners each year in 10+ countries, and we plan to grow 5-10x in the next two years.
Correlation One is proud to be ranked #6 in LinkedIn's Top Startups 2022 list and a Fast Company’s World Changing Idea winner. Join us as we build the workplace development platform of the future!
As a Staff Data Engineer you will be responsible for acting as our data lake subject matter expert to develop and execute the vision for our data engineering architecture. You will also be responsible for the development of data products and platforms that help build flexible, scalable and reliable data pipelines with a high degree of accuracy and quality.
A day in the life:
- Own and develop the long-term technical vision & blueprint for the team
- Design technical strategy to develop well-architected data lakehouse
- Collaborate with internal architects to design and build out the ELT process from data ingestion to analytics marts.
- Create reliable, reusable frameworks and abstractions to standardize software development
- Provide support to development teams while mentoring engineering team members on modern database architecture principles and best practices.
- Monitor and analyze database performance and follow best practices of data engineering such as code reviews, scrum, and SDLC.
- Develop schema design for reports and analytics.
- Hands-on development from microservices and sub-systems to the entire technical stack
- Deal with ambiguity and figure things out with minimal guidance
- Mentor junior engineers on the team
- Create standards for engineering and operational excellence
- Identify and educate on industry relevant technical trends
- 7+ years in a Data Engineering role with experience in data warehouses, fetching data from APIs, developing and maintaining ETL/ELT to service data marts, software applications or cloud microservices used to support data science applications
- Experience with creating data products and internal platforms which accelerate the development of data pipelines
- Advanced SQL experience and database design
- Experience building and maintaining pipeline monitoring for latency, traffic, saturation, and errors
- Able to demonstrate advanced computer and analytical skills with particular knowledge and understanding of the following storage, computing, and tools:
- GCP or equivalent cloud-based data lake/OLAP/OLTP environments
- APIs, Airflow, Cron, dbt, Git
- Experience creating microservices for passing data
- Experience working and implementing CDC (PostGres), with technologies like Kafka
- Working experience with Software Engineering development and deployment practices
- Experience with agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban with comfort level to work in iterative product driven cycles
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Scala, etc.
- Working with CI/CD processes and source control tools such as Github
- Additional preferred experience:
- Handling unstructured text and data
- Infrastructure as code, ideally Terraform
- Non-tabular database management systems, e.g. MongoDB, NeptuneDB
- BI dashboards such as Tableau or PowerBI
- Implementing machine learning systems
- Utilizing logging/observability software such as data dog
- Utilizing data cataloging tool to document data pipelines and datasets
How we support our people
- Insurance or subsidies based on country
- Retirement plan based on country
- Unlimited Time Off, with a minimum time off recommendation
- 10 company-paid holidays
- Official company-wide holiday for the last week of the calendar year
- Access to free data skills training through our programs
- A company culture that empowers individuals and embraces diversity through its core mission
The compensation range for this position is specific to location and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions. These factors include (but are not limited to) location, experience, education and skill sets.
Correlation One’s Commitment
Correlation One is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. Correlation One provides a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions at Correlation One are based solely on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants to bring their unique skills, experiences, and outlook to our work environment.
Correlation One is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, Correlation One strives to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.