Literacy Learning Specialist
Barry University's Center of Academic Success and Advising department is seeking a Literacy Learning Specialist.
The Literacy Learning Specialist provides in-person and remote tutorial services in the areas of writing and reading to undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students at Barry University. The Literacy Learning Specialist also assists with students’ check-in process, appointment scheduling, and monitoring student traffic in the Writing and Reading Centers. The Literacy Learning Specialist aids with facilitation of seminars and workshops as well as participates in placement testing and performs other duties as assigned by the Glenn Hubert Learning Center Manager.
*This is an In-Person Position
Academic Support Services. The Specialist:
- Provides one-on-one and small-group tutorial services either in-person or remotely;
- Conducts seminars and workshops either in-person or remotely to a diverse population of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students;
- Identifies students’ writing/reading skills needs;
- Differentiates strategies and instructional materials to meet individual students’ needs;
- Provides students with specific and clear feedback on how to revise areas of higher order concerns, how to manage time and prioritize;
- Guides students in recognizing and repairing lower order errors;
- Engages students in tutoring sessions by utilizing active learning strategies;
- Fosters student autonomy, as developmentally appropriate;
- Motivates students by being an active listener;
- Facilitates writing and reading workshops and seminars;
- Respects students’ diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives.
2. Writing and Reading Center Operations. The Specialist:
- Monitors the sign-in station in the Writing Center and student traffic;
- Answers the phone calls and responds to questions related to the services provided in the Glenn Hubert Learning Center in all areas;
- Assists students in booking remote appointments and submitting requests to the Online Writing Lab (OWL);
- Uses the processes and systems established within the Writing and Reading Centers to document student progress;
- Enters all data in a timely fashion as specified by the Glenn Hubert Learning Center Manager;
- Communicates and collaborates with the Glenn Hubert Learning Center Manager regarding students with challenging or unique situations and documents record details of such situations through the specified means within the Writing and Reading Centers;
- Maintains accurate records of student attendance in the Online Writing Lab (OWL) and remote tutorial sessions;
Supplemental Duties and Responsibilities. The Specialist:
- Participates in professional development and training sessions as related to tutor responsibilities. Maintains currency in the content area (e.g. researches and develops new and varied instructional materials and strategies);
- Actively participates in learning community meetings;
- Participates in departmental professional development sessions and staff meetings throughout the semester;
- Serves as a proctor for student placement testing;
- Assists with placement testing reports.
- Aids with the maintenance of the Glenn Hubert Learning Center website;
- Maintains currency with technological resources for instructional and recordkeeping purposes;
- Monitors and arranges for replenishment consumable materials used in the tutoring environment.
Bachelor's degree is required in English or related areas.
Master's degree is preferred.
3-5 years of work-related experience is required.
Basic working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures and ability to apply in varied situations.
Participate in creating the Writing and Reading Center environments in which all students are welcomed and provided with equal assistance irrespective of their cultural, social, and intellectual diversity.
Barry University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.