Accountant I, Senior Operations Accounting
Royal Caribbean Group
This position may require minimal supervisory responsibility, having controllership-like accountability over all shipboard revenues and expenses for assigned ships or requiring a specialized skill set for specific multi-million dollar revenue and / or expense categories of the Royal Caribbean Brands. This person is partly responsible for ensuring compliance with accounting policies and principles as well as departmental procedures. This position may require knowledge of MS Excel, VBA coding and MS Access databases for recording and analysis of financial information. This position may require interaction with shipboard financial personnel, Operating and Financial groups, Information Technology, Supply Chain, Legal, Treasury, Risk Management, Human Resources, Accounting Management and third parties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures adherence to Sarbanes Oxley internal controls, procedural / accounting policies and achievement of departmental goals.
- May require development and maintenance of Access databases and VB coding designed for compilation of financial information to record and analyze shipboard related financial transactions for use by shore-side and/or shipboard personnel, which is essential for the timely and efficient recording and analysis of financial information.
- Assists in the development of processes, queries, complex workbooks, training / instructional manuals and other tools, for use by shore-side and/or shipboard personnel, which is essential for the timely and efficient recording of financial information.
- Is a key participant in determining proper accounting and providing instructions on recording hotel or vessel related transactions to shore-side and shipboard staff.
- May work in conjunction with Accounting Management, Operations, and Legal with respect to accounting and financial transactions during contract negotiations.
- Applies accounting concepts and policies in the preparation and review of shipboard related financial transactions which may include but are not limited to voyage accounting, high volume complex accruals and prepaid expenses across a large number of accounts and monthly reclasses.
- Prepares and/or reviews monthly balance sheet reconciliations and ensures timely resolution of outstanding items.
- Assists in the review of balance sheet and profit & loss financial statements to identify and resolve Accounting issues/errors during the month-end closing process.
- May collaborate with shipboard and shore-side operational groups in order to analyze hotel and/or vessel monthly financial results and identify variance drivers for management.
- May assist management in the analysis and identification of significant Year over Year or Month over Month flux drivers relating to Balance Sheet accounts.
- May assist management in generating financial schedules, Sarbanes Oxley documentation, and other items for external and internal auditors, as needed.
- Compiles / reviews financial and statistical data and generates reports used by the upper management of various shore-side groups in evaluating the financial and operational performance of shipboard personnel.
- May assist management in hiring, evaluating performance and conducting performance reviews for direct reports.
- Performs other duties as required.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- Integral part of department responsible for the proper accounting of approximately $2 billion dollars of shipboard hotel revenues, $1.5 billion dollars of hotel expenses or $1.5 billion dollars of vessel related expenses.
- Requires a four-year Accounting and/or Finance degree from an accredited university.
- Requires three to five years’ experience in Accounting and/or Finance. CPA preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must have knowledge of, and be able to apply, U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Requires strong analytical skills.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be capable of supervising / managing other professionals.
- Must work effectively with all levels of management.
- Must be literate in Windows operating system, Excel, Access, Word and Power Point.
- Must have knowledge of financial and inventory control systems. JD Edwards and CrunchTime experience preferred.