Staff Engineer (Backend)
Correlation One is an education technology company building the workforce development platform of the future.
We close skill gaps for enterprises, governments and individuals, while empowering disenfranchised segments of the workforce. By providing training-to-job programs that are 100% free for learners, we eliminate traditional barriers to opportunities. We are committed to helping enterprises like Amazon, Walmart, Prudential, Citadel, Colgate, Johnson & Johnson, Target, Merck and others reskill their workforces to prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow. We build community-oriented, jobs-first learning experiences that offer a human touch and leverage technology to create best-in-class outcomes for everyone.
Each program is taught by industry leaders and experts, professors and teaching assistants, delivered virtually to cohort-based learning communities. We currently run over 12 types of programs for 12,000+ learners each year in 10+ countries, and we plan to grow 5-10x in the next two years.
Correlation One is proud to be ranked #6 in LinkedIn's Top Startups 2022 list and a Fast Company’s World Changing Idea winner. Join us as we build the workplace development platform of the future!
Staff Engineers are the anchor technical leaders for a team at Correlation One. They drive the technical vision and the standards of excellence for their team. They develop a long-term technical blueprint for their team and take a pragmatic approach to building towards that in a phased manner. They promote a culture of craftsmanship within their team and take pride in the high quality of their deliverables.
Our Staff Engineers are hands-on in their work, are deep into the details and lead by example to earn respect. They push themselves and those in their teams to excel in their crafts. They mentor and coach their team members on leadership, technology and culture. They improve and uphold an inclusive culture where everyone is heard, respected and empowered.
- Own and develop the long-term technical vision & blueprint for the team
- Design technical strategy to move from existing monolithic applications to well-architected cloud-based microservices
- Hands-on development from microservices and sub-systems to the entire technical stack
- Deal with ambiguity and figure things out with minimal guidance
- Mentor engineers including senior and junior engineers on their team
- Improve and uphold standards for engineering and operational excellence
- 10+ years of professional software development experience
- 8+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Python, Java
- 6+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Deep experience building large scale distributed systems utilizing microservices, domain based and/or layered cake architectures
- Knowledge of building services using one or more cloud infrastructures such as GCP/AWS
- Knowledge of relational/non-relational databases and unstructured storage
- Deep experience in cloud design patterns for scalability, resiliency, availability, latency, responsiveness
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in coding standards, code reviews, devops and delivering high quality software
- Deep understanding of modern data architectures and data management
- Technologies we use: Python, Java, Django, Flask, React, Postgres, Kubernetes, GCP
- Formal education (PhD, Masters or Bachelors) in a technical discipline
Where you are
- This role is remote and can be located anywhere that is compatible with EST time zone. We are headquartered in New York City and have office space in Midtown Manhattan.
How we support our people
- Insurance or subsidies based on country
- Retirement plan based on country
- Unlimited Time Off, with a minimum time off recommendation
- 10 company-paid holidays
- Official company-wide holiday for the last week of the calendar year
- Access to free data skills training through our programs
- A company culture that empowers individuals and embraces diversity through its core mission
The compensation range for this position is specific to location and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions. These factors include (but are not limited to) location, experience, education and skill sets. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $70,000-$100,000 USD. The range only reflects the base salary and does not reflect bonus, equity or benefits.
Correlation One’s Commitment
Correlation One is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. Correlation One provides a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions at Correlation One are based solely on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants to bring their unique skills, experiences, and outlook to our work environment.